Sunday, June 14, 2009

Thing #10

Thing #10 is so much fun!!! This bird joke was made with Comic Strip Generator. The search feature made it easy to use.

This magazine cover was made with Fake Magazine Covers on Custom Sign Generator. It was not quite as user friendly as the Comic Strip Generator, but the results were really cute! This is my dog, Daisy.

I'm not sure how either of these could be used as educational tools in a primary classroom. I suppose the magazine covers could be used as covers for student stories or autobiographies . . . but I think the magazine covers on Big Huge Labs would be easier for the kids to use.

Custom Sign Generator's Your Face on a Different Body was really hard to navigate, at first. Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to click on the red words "Flash Navigator" to be able to slide my dog's picture around behind the body templates. One of the body backgrounds was a face on Mount Rushmore. Our school's 3rd grade teachers have the children write about who they think should be on Mount Rushmore. Maybe the kids could use this program to illustrate their compositions. Wouldn't be easy, though.
The images below were made with Image Chef. The first one is Beach. (An animated version is on the sidebar to the right.) I don't think either of these have much educational value, but they sure are cute and easy to use.

This is Make Word Mosaic:

The kids could easily make shape poems with this program.

A video made with Image Chef is on the sidebar to the right. They only had three to choose from, but you get to create the ending message, yourself. Not too educational . . .

The poetry blender on Image Chef looked like it would be a great way to display student poetry on the computer in an animated fashion. Maybe on a class wiki? I have an example below this post. (I didn't know how to attach it to this one.) Look for the falling leaves.

This is a wordle:
You either enter a paragraph of text or just type in words, and the computer creates word art with it. The more a word is encountered, the bigger it appears on the screen. This would be fun to use in the classroom to display attributes of characters . . . or even for Mother's Day gifts! I really like this font, which is called Grilled Cheese. It reminds me of the Brady Bunch. Didn't they use the same font during the opening credits?

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog. It has so many personal comments interwoven with responses to the required questions.
    I had a great time creating a wordle, but couldn't figure out how to post it my blog. I tried saving it as a microsoft document to my desktop, but that didn't work either. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always leave such nice comments! I think what I did was save it as a microsoft document to my desktop; then, while the document was still open, I clicked on the wordle to get handlebars on it and did a CTRL C (for copy). Then, I opened up Microsoft PowerPoint. I did a CTRL V (for paste) on the first PowerPoint slide. Then, I clicked on the picture that popped up on the slide to get the little handlebars on it. Then, I right clicked with the mouse and selected "Save as Picture." I saved it as a picture on my desktop. Then, I attached that picture to my blog. I'm sure there is a much easier way to do it . . . but at least it worked!

    ReplyDelete