Friday, June 12, 2009

Thing #7

I was surprised how many different services Google has to offer that I never knew existed! Their data storage facilities must be ENORMOUS!

I had a lot of fun setting up an iGoogle home page. I chose a pretty sunset picture with giraffes walking across the Serengeti as the page's theme.

Then, I spent a loooooong time looking through and trying out gadgets. Every time I saw something useful or cute, I'd add it to the page. Wow! Talk about information overload! It was pretty funny looking back at the home page when I was finished. The page was swamped with gadgets! I finally managed to get a grip on myself and narrow them down to 15.

My favorite gadget is "Places to See." The picture changes frequently. I also included some practical links (news, weather, calendar, and to-do list); some research links (Wikipedia and dictionary); and some brain-boosting links ("Word of the Day" and "Spanish Word of the Day"). One of my gadgets shows my most recent e-mails from my Yahoo e-mail account. I love how iGoogle automatically gives you brief summaries of news articles when you slide the cursor over the headlines. You can tell what articles are about without clicking on them and having to wait for them to load onto your computer.

I didn't make a public link to my iGoogle page, since my e-mail is linked to it, but the top of it looks like this:


Some of the themes and gadgets you can choose from on iGoogle look a little inappropriate for children; so if students do make their own home pages, they will have to be closely monitored. I think the weather and calendar gadgets would work well for 2nd graders. They could also use the to-do list option, moon phase calendars, Google safe search, and "Jokes for Kids." There were some games they could use, too, like "Bee Smart Addition" and "Spell It." The "Children's Book of the Day" looked cute, but the books seem more appropriate for older grades.

I had planned to start a Google Notebook, but received a message from Google that said that they have stopped development of the Google Notebook program. They aren't taking any new users. So I set up a Google Alert, instead. Our students raise money for an endangered bird, and I entered an alert to have any recent communication about the bird sent to me. Now, I will be able to keep up with the current status of conservation efforts. At this time, I'm not sure how this Google application could safely work for children. How could you screen all of the information coming in?

3 comments:

  1. great way of showing us your personal page and still keeping it private! looks like you had fun putting it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first comment I've ever gotten! It's kind of exciting! Sort of like a new business earning its first dollar bill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the excitement in your blog! Please email me and I will send the lessons for the biography comics. We've done them differently each year. I love the idea of using the sportscards for birds!

    ReplyDelete