Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing #11

Setting up a Library Thing account was easy . . . once I finally found a user name that had not been used. It sure is getting hard keeping up with all of these new user names and passwords. Library Thing wouldn't allow any special characters in their passwords. I had some trouble reading their graffiti-style verification words that I had to type in to prove I was a person. I must have mistyped a lot of them, because they kept giving me new words to type.

Once in, it was really easy adding books to my library, searching through groups, and adding a widget to this blog (by following the instructions under the "Tools" tab). My widget is supposed to alternate titles every 10 seconds, but I noticed it seems to always stay on the same 9 books. It is located on the right sidebar.

I searched for 2nd grade classroom groups, but the youngest I could find were 3rd grade classrooms. The two 3rd grade groups were marked private, so I couldn't see what they looked like. I clicked on several other elementary groups, but they were all private (understandably).

I just tried setting up a private group for my school's six 2nd grade classrooms to share. Our teachers use many of the same books for LA lessons, and the students would enjoy reading comments from other classes. Unfortunately, I didn't quite know what I was doing and kept getting a mysterious "cannot modify header information" message. It must have been serious, because it was written in red. I finally gave up. Anybody out there know how to fix that problem? Also, I wonder if you have to assign separate e-mail accounts for each child in order for them to be part of a group? If so, we might be able to use their wiki e-mail addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment